Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Hump day

It's totally Wednesday around here. M had to be up at 4:00 (yes, AM) today to fly to Miami for a couple of days. Being a morning person anyway, I rarely go back to sleep on those early days and today was no exception.

We're still recovering from a few of the illnesses that graced our March Malady Month. A is down to about 1/2 a box of tissue a day, I'm down to one Benadryl a day and A has only gagged-up once today! Hooray! Of course, Fize the Wonder Dog was up at 5:30 barfing in the kitchen, but hey that's what you get when you eat every piece of rubbish you come across.

To add to the challenging fun of getting a five-year-old ready for school by 7:30 each day, D has requested NO SANDWICHES for her school lunch. NO PROBLEM, I reply, but you're going to have to eat something besides fruit. So our new lunch schedule for the remainder of the school year is:

Monday - pasta day
Tuesday - stir-fry day
Wednesday - burrito day (this may not stick since she hates beans and I feel like she should have something besides cheese)
Thursday - chicken day
Friday - pizza day (this is the only day I let her buy school lunch)

For the record, I wanted a seafood day - D loves shrimp and almost all fish - but M nixed it as being too smelly and raised some important food-safety issues, i.e., how to keep shrimp hot/cold until lunchtime using only a Thermos container or ice packs.

For tomorrow's chicken, I'm roasting some mini-drumettes with a plum-hoisin-oyster sauce. I'm going to start sending her with tiny cups of salad in addition to these goodies. Or maybe broccoli or asparagus spears, both of which she loves. Because she needs her fruits and veggies.

And because I rarely practice what I preach and I'm also not a big fan of sandwiches, for my lunch I'm having a delicious dish of Talenti Caribbean Coconut gelato. Low fat! All natural! Yummy! With just enough coconut to make you feel like you're on vacation. It's a little hard to find, but I got mine at the local natural grocery just up the street.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Sounds like a week's worth of yummy lunches. I meant to tell you that your story yesterday about the April Fools Day homework was a riot!