Friday, July 18, 2008

Rain, rain

It has rained every day this week, last week, the whole of time as I can remember it. Not that I'm complaining what with all the talk of droughts and wildfires and dead landscaping and golf courses and whatnot, but whatever, those things don't affect me (yet) and not being able to get the kids outside to run around everyday DOES affect me, most often if the form of massive meltdowns right as I start to saute the veggies or cut up the chicken or whatever. The kind of meltdown that makes one think of volcanos and TNT and loss of life. Shooting flames, piercing shrieks, choking sobs, the whole bit, you'd think they were being tortured. But they're just torturing each other because I refuse to get involved unless it involves protracted violence or bloodshed. Anyway, it's all easier to deal with when they've had some time outside to play, but the rainy season is here which means it's either raining or about to rain, too bloody hot and humid to be outdoors (for me anyway) or too wet on the playgrounds. Fun times.

Have a great weekend. I've got to run and explain to A why he can have pretzels OR chocolate milk, but not both, this close to dinner time. Or should I just cave, let him have both, ruin his appetite and so what who cares, he can eat a good dinner tomorrow? Do I stick to my guns and suffer through a tantrum? Either way, it's not going to be good and it is pouring outside so there's not much else to do.

Life is filled with tiny dilemmas.

No comments: