Monday, February 23, 2009

Out of ideas

3:00 and the dreaded dinner hour is facing me down. I have a love/hate relationship with cooking these days -- I love to cook and my kids hate the stuff I make. They would eat cereal and macaroni and cheese for every meal, every day if I let them. Oh sure, D will also eat fruit and frozen peas; A also eats beans and peanut butter once in a while. But mostly they don't eat anything. It makes it very hard for me to get excited about cooking a meal because I know it is absolutely unappreciated. I had to make a dinner time rule that, even if they aren't going to eat, they can't complain throughout the whole meal.

I've got chicken breasts, rice and broccoli planned for tonight, but I might as well throw it all in the garbage and give them bowls of Cheerios.

I've said it before, but meal planning is seriously the hardest thing to do.

2 comments:

lisagh said...

Have you heard about the book "Deceptively Delicious"? It's written by Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry's wife) and it's about how to get your kids to eat. I've never tried it, but it's got a cute pink and green cover! (see it on amazon.com)

Good luck and don't get down on yourself :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your cooking! Feel free to bake, freeze and ship anything to me ... anytime! Hey - don't you owe me some easy recipes?

Love, Bunky