Sunday, August 02, 2009

Into the Wild

Have you ever heard of this film or the book by Jon Krakauer that it is based on? Have you ever heard of Emile Hirsch the amazing actor who stars in it? Did you know Sean Penn is a gifted director (whatever you might think of his acting talents)?

I did not know about any of the above until I saw the movie "Into the Wild." It is one of the most amazing stories I've ever seen on film. I can't wait to get the book from the library as well. It has a very Thoreau-ish quality to it, so if you're not a fan of navel-gazing idealism and/or naturalism you'll have to swallow hard to enjoy the first taste. But stick with it, because there is something about the story and the main character that will stick with you. I had a hard time getting to sleep after I watched it because I just couldn't stop thinking about it. It almost has that quality where you think.... did I see that? Did I miss something? Did that really happen? I didn't agree with everything he did (some of his actions seem naive, some self-centered, some just dumb) and I certainly don't think I'd survive 16 hours let alone 16 weeks in the wilds of Alaska with nothing but a sleeping bag, gun and 10lbs. of rice, but something about the movie made me want to believe I could -- or that at least I should try.

Anyway, it's Just Amazing. Rent it or catch it on one of the movie channels (I think it was on Cinemax) as soon as you can.

I still can't stop thinking about it.

1 comment:

Lb said...

I absolutely loved this book. The movie was great too--haunting. I remember when Christopher's body was found. His story was written about in the Atlanta newspaper. It seemed like such a waste of a life.

I took the interiors quiz and I too am eastern boho!

Currently, I am reading "My Life in France." I actually picked it up before I found out about the movie but never got around to reading it. Now I feel like such a bandwagon jumper. Julia Child is kind of am elitist--I am not sure I like her, at least in her early years. I hope she becomes less judgemental as I read on.