Friday, August 06, 2010

Topless no more

Despite my well-documented love of desserts, I am not a big fan of dessert toppings. I don't like whipped cream on my ice cream, I don't like sauces, and I especially do not, and doubt I ever will, like hot fudge sauce.

But I DO like buttermilk and it's a staple in my fridge. So I was very happy to see a recipe for Buttermilk Syrup making the rounds on the internet. I figured at the very least it would be a nice alternative to maple syrup, honey, jam and all the other stuff the kids like to load on their pancakes and waffles. Who knew that it would be the most awesome, delectable, lip-smacking stuff EVER on ice cream (especially a cup of homemade vanilla, but it would also rock out on butter pecan).

Try some today!

Buttermilk Syrup

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 teaspoons baking soda

Directions:

In a large pan (make sure it is large, this syrup will grow when you add the vanilla and soda), place the butter, buttermilk, and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and soda. It will foam. Now it is ready to serve. Try it warm over ice cream, on your pancakes, waffles, or scones. Yumm-o. Keeps in the refrigerator at least 3 weeks.



No comments: