Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Chew on this

Day Two of the Cleanse is DONE. This method of diet control is extremely hard if you like food. My general plan for this week:
A.M. - "Energy" beverage 30 minutes before breakfast
Breakfast - 1 c. oatmeal w/ berries; "cleansing" tea
Snack - Yucky little fake-chocolate chewy things that TOTALLY kill the munchies
Lunch - Protein shake, cleansing tea (this is hard. I want a sandwich.)
Snack - Bunch o' random veggies or some grapes
Dinner - Healthy meal w/ protein & veg
Before bed - More tea!!

Also about 63,000 glasses of water.

My take away so far:
1) I'm not really that hungry. All that liquid and the protein shakes fill me up (not necessarily satisfying, but at least I'm not starving) and they don't taste completely horrible.

2) The "cleansing effect" has been very mild. No nastiness. But I do feel a lot better! My skin is freaking out, but I understand that is normal when you're body is detoxing.

3) I don't crave anything except sugar. Oh how I want a piece of cake; ice cream; whipped cream. I'm in severe withdrawal and am contenting myself with looking at pictures of desserts on Tastespotting.

4) Despite my fears, I've had no problems giving up coffee at all! Surprise, surprise! I've not missed it, I haven't had headaches, I don't feel draggy. In fact, I think I have even more energy! I've already estimated if I can stay caffeine free we'll save about $30 a month at the grocery on coffee.

5) I could never do this more than a week. I'm hoping it gives me just the kick start I need to get a more healthy diet in place and most importantly, kick the sugar habit. I fully admit I'm dependent on desserts, my sweet tooth is my downfall, and I need to change!

So basically, I think this has been a good idea. It's really got me thinking about what I eat, what I want to eat, how I want to look and feel, how I've become a classic "comfort eater". Pretty unusual for someone who isn't usually introspective, even about their food.


No comments: