Thursday, March 26, 2009

Milestones and memories

Anders is growing up. He's both vastly different from and strangely like Dagny. They share a common love for art projects, silliness, goofy noises, Disney movies, the beach, books, bubble baths, pizza and cantaloupe. And that's about it.

  • Anders is more cuddly than Dagny (but I wouldn't call either of them snugglers).
  • Dagny is more reserved.
  • Anders will not hesitate to scream about his frustration, disapproval, resentment, objections, and excitement. Sometimes all at once.
  • Dagny can rationalize like a AIG exec in front of Congress. The girl can TALK.
  • Anders is more physical.
  • Dagny has always understood the concept of delayed gratification.
  • Anders wants it NOW and MORE.
  • Dagny can entertain herself for hours.
  • Anders won't let you out of his sight.


They both love to talk and I love talking to them. I love trying to figure out where they're coming from. I love to hear them talking to each other.

Dagny will sometimes ask to pass up her bedtime story in favor of some "girl talk" which can range from the injustices of first-grade friendships, to plans for the future (i.e., next week), to serious discussions about why she isn't allowed to chew gum. We were at the beach last weekend and Anders got cold playing in the surf and so I wrapped him in a beach towel and had him lie down with me in the warm late afternoon sun. There were some big, fluffy white clouds in the sky and immediately he started talking about what they looked like (me: dogs, ducks, bunnies. him: robots, giants, alligators) and then: why there is clouds? why there is sun? why is the water so shiny? Somehow, lying there in the sun, the why why whys didn't get to me like they can sometimes. The sometimes when I can't take another "Why?" and spit out a terse "It just is!" and then I hold my breath and don't dare turn around to see the expression on their faces, afraid that I will see hurt at my impatience, sadness because I won't (or can't) talk to them, or worse, a suspicion that maybe mommy doesn't know the answer.

The last thing I say to both of them at night is "I love you." Because I do. Do I ever.

I know, and have always known, how much my parents love me and how much they love their family. There is not a shred of doubt in my mind that they've always been there for us, provided for us, and supported us in all our endeavors. They've always encouraged us and believed in us and believed that we would be the best at whatever it is we wanted (whether or not they agreed with our choices). It is with love that they have always sought to understand us, to accept us, to counsel and advise us. I know that they'd never turn us away in a time of need. I know, and have always known, that our family is the most important thing in the world to them. I know that being an adult does not diminish the bond you have with your parents, but instead changes and enhances the relationship.

I strive every day to give back that same love, support and acceptance to my mom & dad, to my husband, to the rest of my family and, especially, to Dagny and Anders. I hope they know, and will always know, how much I love them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Proud to be sister, daughter, niece, aunt, supporter, cheerleader and friend to my family!
I love you too!
Bunky

Anonymous said...

Nice. Really nice. Where are the salted caramels?