Thursday, May 15, 2008

Going green

For mid-May in Florida, we've been having some really nice weather. After our big Mother's Day weekend, it cooled off considerably and we've actually had our a/c off all week. The windows aren't painted shut in this house so we've been able to open up and air out. It's a bit stuffy upstairs from about 5 - 10pm, but we just keep the ceiling fans going and not even the kids are complaining. We/I love having all this fresh air in the house, I don't even mind the heat right now, and it's something we were never able to do at the old house. I'm enjoying it -- and saving on our electric bill -- while we can.

Actually, we have the potential to be very green here. We already have solar power for the water heater, which is way more efficient than either gas or electric, so we may consider installing a converter box for the whole house. There was a large rebate for solar power available in Florida last year, but it just expired in December so we'll wait to see if they revive it. We can also tap into reclaimed water to water our yard, but we'd have to do a lot of prep work and I'm not sure if it's better than reviving our well.

And our final Big Green Moment of the week... we restart our membership in the organic produce co-op tomorrow! Hurray! The co-op actually opened a St. Pete satellite location to service all their members up here without us having to drive to Sarasota each week. I can't wait to see what's in my first basket.

OK.. gotta boogie. BigMan A is off at Mom's Morning Out today and I have 3 hours of chores to cram into the 45 minutes before I have to get him. Wish me luck!

No comments: