Monday, May 15, 2006

Icon-fusion

We had a nice weekend here getting caught up on our sleep and getting back to our regularly scheduled routine after a week of visiting with my in-laws.

After Mass yesterday, M took D over to the little grotto at church where there is a large statue of Mary. She had on her crown of flowers (last Thursday was the official May crowning at school) and her flowing robes and I guess they stood there for a bit silently contemplating. Then they caught up to me and D's first response was "Mom, we saw the Statue of Liberty!" It reminded me of the time we saw Father G out near the car line at school one day, and as we walked by D stage-whispers, "Look Mom, there's God!" I guess a logical leap for a 3-year-old, since we tell her that Church is "God's house."

Only two more weeks of school to go! I'm thankful, since most of D's friends are already out. I decided that, this summer, we are taking it easy. I just don't have the energy to go racing around town to activities and appointments. So, except for one week of nature camp and her Monday swim lessons, we're going to be completely spontaneous. We've got lots of outdoor stuff now - a nice canopy tent in the backyard, a new kid's picnic table and sandbox which our lovely neighbors generously gave us, the sprinkler ball, wading pool and, of course, TONS of play-doh. I also snagged a vintage set of Tupperware popsicle molds on eBay (just like the ones we had when I was a kid!!) so I'm sure we'll have fun thinking of juice combinations to go in them. When I was a kid, we always started out with OJ or some other nutritious juice, but by the end of the summer we were freezing Coca-Cola.

Hard to believe it's been almost one year since I started this blog and we were getting ready to go to Kosovo.

No comments: