Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Fear

I found out late yesterday about the shootings at VT. Normally it wouldn't take all day for me to hear about such things, but I had a sick dog, cranky baby and a ton of post-Spring Break errands to run so was online less than usual. I'm glad I caught up at the end of the day, when there was less speculation about what was happening, but my heart goes out to those poor people who lost loved ones and the students who will live with the fear and horror of that day for a long time.

As a mom, as a parent, you can't help wonder what if it happened to your child or at your kid's school? I don't even like to think about it, but who knows what kind of sick "person" preys on others like that. D's school, which is pretty locked-down, is relatively safe but the kids are still out on an open playground during the day -- isn't it a crazy world that you might not want your kid to be outside on a playground because someone could open fire on them? I'm sure it's just the sudden (re)heightened awareness of how vulnerable we are to the crazies, but right now it's on my mind.

And in a few days I'm sure we'll all be treated to one of Rosie O'Donnell's crackpot conspiracy theories about this incident. I've stopped watching the Martha show in the mornings because The View comes on right after and just seeing Rosie's face during the promo spots turns me off.

Hug your family today!

No comments: