Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Feelin' groovy

I may be on the wrong path here, but I believe that indoctrinating introducing the children to classic rock n' roll, 80s hits, New Wave and even the occasional foray into folk, blues and clean punk music is much better for them than letting them "discover" rap, hip-hop or (gulp) Hannah Montana all on their own. So that is why my 5 year old can belt out Talking Heads, Squeeze (she looooves Cool for Cats) and Simon & Garfunkel songs. I can't think of any reason why she'd ever watch Hannah Montana, Lizzy McSuckFest or any the other dreck on Nick or Disney. I'm sure as she gets older and starts spending time at her friends' houses she'll encounter such things, but for now, she doesn't even know they exist. It's also why I'm such a fan of hosting playdates at our house. A bit of a mess to clean up is nothing compared to the peace of mind I have knowing what my kids are doing, saying, eating, watching. The more the merrier, actually, since having friends over means less time for me sitting on the floor playing MailBox or Garage or Bunny TeaParty. I'll take any excuse for down time to blog, clean or cook...

which leads me to my latest Naptime Foray into the Kitchen... Easy Peanut Butter Cups from the March issue of Everyday Food. I will have to hide these from myself or I'll end up eating the whole batch. Give them a try if you want an easy sweet treat.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I'm so with you on this! My almost-eight-year-old has discovered Hannah Montana, and it's a nightmare! Have you seen this dreck? all about who is being nice/mean to whom, kissing boys, etc. All stuff I don't think she's anywhere near ready for. And, yes--she discovered it at the neighbor's house on a playdate (their kids are a little older and very precocious in a not-good way). We don't have cable, so she can't watch it at home, and in the car I make her listen to classic rock or classical. She plays the violin, so I'm always remarking "listen to those violins!!" But it's hard, isn't it?

Thanks for visiting my blog! I really like yours.